Community Crime Watch Day
WHERE: Geneva College,
3200 College Avenue, Beaver Falls PA 15010
(Beaver County Pennsylvania Safety Events, Community Events.)
DESCRIPTION: Community Crime Watch Day Events:
- For the children: crafts supervised by The Center for Creative Arts Expression, face painting, and various free “Penny Carnival” type games (prizes involved)
- Demonstrations: bicycle safety (free bike helmets for ages 12 & under), small fire extinguishing, drug dog and bomb robot
- Explore: military vehicles, fire trucks, rescue vehicles
- Food: Hanks ice cream, Vocelli pizza, barbeque & various other food trucks
- Services: child ID kits, Neighborhood Watch info, community service organizations will hand out info such as women’s services, Tiger Paws Ministries, Big Brothers & Sisters.
- Vendors: Jewelry, homemade dog treats, health & beauty, as well as an assortment of other various types of vendors.
- Meet: local and state police officers, local firemen, city council members, members of the District Attorney’s Office and military recruitment officers, Allegheny County Bomb Squad & Pittsburgh Penguins mascot Iceburg!
- WBVP AM Radio live broadcast
- Magician: Vince Charming
- Music: Beaver Falls High School Marching Band & Local DJ
- Grand Finale: Fireworks
Annual Community Crime Watch Day History
Community Crime Watch Day is an offshoot of the “National Night Out” that falls under the Neighborhood Watch umbrella. Its purpose is to bring the community and police together.
National Night Out has strict guidelines and specific vendors that had to be used. Beaver Falls Police Department liked the concept, but wanted the freedom to employ more local community support/involvement without being forced to adhere to the trademarked “National Night Out”.
The first event was held outside of the city building. As the event began to develop more interest, it moved to the area behind the Big Beaver Falls Area Middle School. This location was not visible enough to attract passers-by, so the police department approached Geneva College with the suggestion of forming a partnership for the annual event.
In 2011 Geneva College became the host site while the Beaver Falls Police remained the event planners. It became obvious that more community support and involvement would be needed to assist in making the Community Crime Watch Day a public spirited, one day event that would encourage more people to come annually and burgeon into a population of residents who work together.
Also in 2011, local groups (such as Beaver Falls Forever “BFF” and the Second Baptist Church “Girlfriends” youth group) who wish to work together on improvements that will benefit the future of Beaver Falls pitched in to help. As the event grows annually, more community minded citizens have been asked to lend support. The Communications Class at Beaver Falls High School and Mr. Shawn Thomas’s ministry U.S.B.F. “Uniting Spirits of Beaver Falls” pulled their resources to augment the 2012 Fourth Annual Community Crime Watch Day by running Penny Carnival type games. Pastor Marc De’Jeu and members of Soma Gathering stepped in to handle the children’s games in 2015.
The 2012 Fourth Annual Community Crime Watch Day saw the addition of music courtesy of a DJ and Zambelli Fireworks thanks to fund raising efforts spearheaded by Regina Jones.
Music and fireworks will also be a part of the all future annual Community Crime Watch Day’s if fundraising is successful enough to cover the cost.
Arts and crafts vendors wanted.
Direct sales vendors wanted (home party merchandise.)
Food vendors wanted to serve food at our event (food trucks, etc.)
Vendors wanted who sell food items (examples: baked goods, spices, dip mixes, candy, coffees, teas, etc.)
Vendor fee: $20. No electricity is available.
There is no fee for non-profit organizations.
EVENT CONTACT: Regina Jones at 724-312-3025